Saturday, April 21, 2012

Threshold of the Prelude to the Preface of the Prologue

“We must learn to reawaken and keep ourselves awake, not by mechanical aids, but by an infinite expectation of the dawn, which does not forsake us even in our soundest sleep. I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by a conscious endeavour. It is something to be able to paint a particular picture, or to carve a statue, and so to make a few objects beautiful; but it is far more glorious to carve and paint the very atmosphere and medium through which we look, which morally we can do. To affect the quality of the day, that is the highest of arts.”
-Thoreau

That’s what this is all about, I’m awake now and the dawn is rapidly approaching. Since I first got my backpack at the sporting goods store I worked at, crazy hike has followed crazy hike. Twenty plus milers? No problem! South rim of the Grand Canyon to the Colorado River and back in a day? Well why the heck not?  Two thousand miles from Maine to Georgia? Uh…duh!


I like to push myself, sometimes too far. This is where Jess comes in. I couldn’t do the Appalachian Trail without her. Not only has she done most of the planning, created this awesome website and bought all her gear from scratch: she’s my balance. Jess is the sanity to my insanity. We are the ultimate team, and the Appalachian Trail? Just our first victim.

So here we are just about two months from the beginning of our hike. It doesn’t seem real yet. We’ve got all the gear, probably too much just like everyone else. We bought or plane tickets to Maine. We’ve got a way back when we get to Georgia (thanks Alan and Amy!!!).  We’ve resigned from our jobs.

My current feelings are best illustrated by two things: 1) The part of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade when Indiana Jones takes the leap of faith and just so happens to find the camouflaged bridge.

                                 I’m glad you’re joining us for this grand adventure! Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment